About RPAS Operations

Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA), also called Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV),  are an exciting new technology made possible by recent advancements in aeronautics, material science, electrical and software engineering. Aviation has previously progressed under the presumption that a pilot is required to be on board an aircraft; this is no longer the case. Such a development opens up aviation to a significantly broader demographic both commercially and recreationally. RPAS Training & Solutions provide courses and consulting so that professionals may utilise these advancements legally in a commercial context.

RPAs are part of a broader Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) which itself falls under the umbrella term of Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS). In the USA the term RPAS is replaced with Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (sUAS). RPAS refers to the network of equipment required for the safe flight of an RPA. Such a system will at a minimum include an Operator, a single Remote Pilot Station (RPS) and an RPA.

RPAS have been utilised by several military forces around the world, however, civilian application of RPAS is still a pioneering field. The emerging RPAS industry is dynamic and rapidly progressing business environment. Many new, unprecedented may be exploited by businesses where manned aviation operations were too costly or not suitable.

Laws regarding the use of RPAS by civilian operators are still under development, as national aviation regulator’s such as Australia’s Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and the European Civil Aviation Safety Authority (EASA) collaborate to create a set of standard international practices and benchmarks. The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) is expected to publish the first internationally recognised laws regarding the civil use of RPA’s in early 2014.

People exploiting RPA’s for commercial gain are required to be licensed and suitably trained for RPA operations.

Our Glossary contains key terms and definitions, essential knowledge for potential RPAS operators